The event, held across the three cities of Middelfart, Odense and Svendborg between 6 July and 14 July 2018, received 3,043 entries for events from 2,738 different participants representing 48 nations and the ITU. Almost 9% of all athletes (237 athletes) competed in more than one race at Fyn 2018.

The majority of participants originated from outside of Fyn, with international participants comprising almost 88%. Male athletes comprised 64% of participants with female athletes accounting for the other 36%.

The total spectator attendance during competition days was calculated to be 3,723, with 2,856 unique people attending the event over the five days of races. It was calculated that 67% of spectators originated from outside of Fyn. Due to the layout of the start and finishing areas at each host city, as well as to encourage attendance from all-comers, the event was non-ticketed.

It was calculated that the total tourism spend from Fyn 2018 was DKK 49.66 million ($7.8 million), of which over two-thirds was spent on the island of Fyn specifically (DKK 33.14 million / $5.2 million).

It was found that 87% of all out-of-town participants and spectators were visiting the island of Fyn for the first time, with 89% stating that they would recommend Fyn as a place to visit to friends and family.

According to the survey specifically taken by participants, 87% of respondents suggested that they had a good overall experience at Fyn 2018, with 85% of participants likely to participate at a future edition of the ITU Multisport World Championships. Almost 40% of participants would be more likely to participate in more races at a future Multisport World Championships than at Fyn 2018.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

“The concept of the ITU Multisport World Championships is great for displaying the many champions within the sport of triathlon. The feedback from participants this year in Denmark supports the idea, highlighted by the 87% of respondents who noted that they had a good overall experience at Fyn 2018, and 85% of participants that are likely to participate at a future edition of the ITU Multisport World Championships”, says Lars Lundov, CEO, Sport Event Denmark.

Jakob Staun, Head of Business and Sports Events, Destination Fyn, commented: “At Destination Fyn we are both happy and proud that the ITU Multisport World Championships turned out to be such a great business case. This was especially the case for our hotels and business partners; for some it even contributed to record turnover for a calendar year.

“From the start, we were determined to make this event a showcase that Fyn as an island destination is able to provide a unique venue for outdoor events with both a varied landscape, featuring plenty of seawater as well as an urban and cosy coast city atmosphere. We are therefore pleased to see that, according to Sportcal’s GSI Event Study, we managed to create a great number of ambassadors for our destination from the international guests that we hosted.”

For further information about the GSI project and how to join the GSI Event Studies Programme, contact or visit