VisitScotland is Scotland’s National Tourism Organisation, and we’re proud to promote the wealth of incredible features our country has to offer. Our aim is to benefit Scotland by growing its tourism industry and giving it a renowned presence in the global marketplace.
VisitScotland, the national tourism organisation for Scotland, is responsible for the sustainable growth of the visitor economy. VisitScotland’s Events Directorate does this by working to develop a strong and dynamic events industry for Scotland. We attract, bid for and secure major sporting, cultural and business events worldwide, as well as supporting Scotland’s events industry.
We bring strategic focus for all involved in any aspect of delivering events of all sizes in Scotland allowing for the development and growth of a flourishing, innovative and competitive events industry. We do this by providing funding opportunities, giving advice and support and promoting events to consumers.
This role reports to the Director of Events within the VisitScotland Events Directorate. As Head of EventScotland, you will contribute to the organisation’s objectives and lead on the development and implementation of Scotland’s national events strategy which is currently being reviewed and updated to extend its term to the end of 2035.
As Head of EventScotland, you will draw on your excellent strategic networks and knowledge of sport, culture and events at both a national and international level to lead the EventScotland department across a variety of areas including funding programmes, bid and tender processes, and event impacts. The postholder will also play a critical role in assessing, bidding for, securing, developing and creating events that will deliver significant impact for Scotland, as well as overseeing the delivery of these events to a world-class standard in partnership with key stakeholders.
For more information, please see the full job description (LinkedIn users will need to click “apply” to view JD and links below).
How well do you really know your competitors?
Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.
Your download email will arrive shortly
Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample
We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below formBy GlobalData
Contract Type: Permanent
Salary Grade: Grade K £71,084- £81,307
Date Posted: 10 May 2023
Last Date for Submissions: 29 May 2023
Interviews will be held 15/16 June 2023
This role can be based out of any VisitScotland office location in the central belt. VisitScotland operates a hybrid working culture, partially office and partially home based
With family-friendly and flexible working policies, we offer an impressive range of benefits and professional development. We are an equal opportunities employer, and value diversity in all its forms. You can read more about working for us, our benefits and our culture by clicking here.
In order to be considered for the Head of EventScotland role, we ask that you can demonstrate in CV and Covering Letter the following (expanded within the Job Description):
- Excellent working knowledge of sport, culture and events at a National and International level
- Clear demonstrable understanding of the process of strategy development and extensive knowledge of how to develop, consult on, implement and review strategies and plans.
- Excellent working knowledge of Business Planning, budgeting, event planning and delivery as well as the workings of local and national government.
- Knowledge of Marketing, PR & Sponsorship and the cultural and business sectors
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as the ability to present event concepts, ideas and proposals to small and large audiences in order to gain understanding, buy-in and support.
- Strong leadership and negotiation skills, with the ability to be persuasive and open minded, whilst remaining diplomatic in influencing key decisions and actions.
- Politically and commercially astute, working within highly sensitive areas.
Work Locations: VisitScotland Main Office, Ocean Point One, 94 Ocean Drive, Edinburgh, EH6 6JH
Job: Strategic Leadership
Full/ PartTime: Full Time
Job Posting: May 10, 2023
Unposting Date: May 29, 2023