The 4th edition of the Fiji Games, sponsored by FINTEL, Fiji’s international telecommunications carrier, began in Suva on Wednesday 4 October with the beginning of the Basketball competition.
The Fiji Games have been held every two years since 1994, with the main objectives being:
* to provide an opportunity for competition for National Federations
* to provide an opportunity for talent identification by inviting athletes from all over the country to take part in a competition along the lines of a South Pacific Games
* to give national selectors an opportunty to pick national squads for forthcoming events such as the 2001 South Pacific Mini Games in Norfolk Island
* to provide training opportunities for technical officials
* to provide sports and districts the opportunity to train their officials in team management, coaching etc
* to strengthen the sports administration network in the country
This year’s Fiji Games will see the involvement of 21 sports: Archery, Athletics, Badminton, Basketball, Billiards and Snooker, Bodybuilding, Chess, Golf, Hockey, Judo, Karate, Outrigger Canoeing, Surfing, Squash,
Swimming, Taekwondo, Touch Rugby, Tennis, Triathlon and Volleyball. Most sports are being competed in Suva, but venues in other towns are also being utilised by a number of sports.