Birmingham Commonwealth Games athletes' village to provide 1,000 new homes
A planned athletes’ village for the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham, England will provide about 1,000 new homes after the conclusion of the games, organisers said today.
About 6,500 competitors and officials will be housed in the village before it acts as a catalyst “for a significant housing growth programme that will deliver up to 3,000 new homes in the area,” according the organising committee.
The site is the current location of the old University of Central England and Birmingham City University campus in the Perry Barr area of the city.
The Birmingham 2022 organisers said: “After the Games, the Village accommodation will be converted and become available as a mixture of homes for sale and market rent as well as for social and affordable rent (through the city council’s Birmingham Municipal Housing Trust and In-Reach rental initiative).”
Ian Ward, leader of Birmingham City Council and chair of the Birmingham 2022 bid team, added: “Our proposal to bring the Games to Birmingham had a number of key strengths, including our outstanding track record of staging major sporting events, and having almost all of the competition venues in place.
“The development of the Village is therefore the largest new-build element of the Games – and will help rejuvenate Perry Barr and the wider surrounding area, meaning there will be a meaningful and lasting legacy for the people of Birmingham, in particular those living near the heart of the action in 2022.”
In December, Birmingham was formally unveiled as the host of the 2022 Commonwealth Games, and looks set to part-finance the £750-million ($1-billion) sporting festival through a hotel tax, becoming the first UK city to introduce such a levy.
The UK government has already pledged to cover 75 per cent of the funding, leaving Birmingham City Council to raise the remaining 25 per cent, or £180 million.
A key part of Birmingham 2022’s pledge to the Commonwealth Games Federation was to deliver a “low cost, low risk, high quality games,” with 95 per cent of necessary competition venues already in place. An aquatics centre is the sole venue that needs to be built.
Birmingham had originally set its sights on bidding to host the 2026 Commonwealth Games, but brought its plans forward last year following confirmation that Durban, which was initially slated to host the 2022 edition, had been dropped.