Barca pip Real to LaLiga TV cash title
Barcelona pipped arch-rivals Real Madrid to earn the most money from television rights in Spanish soccer last season, according to figures issued by LaLiga.
The Catalan giants received €146.2 million ($175.7 million), compared with €140.1 million for Real, which won the title in 2016-17.
Combined, the two clubs accounted for around 20 per cent of the total €1.39 billion paid out to the 42 clubs in the top-tier LaLiga Santander and second-tier LaLiga 123.
Despite a decision by LaLiga under its president Javier Tebas to bring back the collective selling of media rights from 2016-17 in order to bridge the financial gap between Barcelona and Real Madrid and the rest of the top-flight, the pair continue to maintain their dominance.
Atletico Madrid were the third-highest earners, receiving €99.2 million, followed by Athletic Bilbao (€71 million) and Valencia (€67.4 million).
LaLiga 123 champions Levante received €8.7 million in TV money, second only to Rayo Vallecano, which finished the season in 12th place but earned €9 million, largely because it is one of the division's biggest clubs, and therefore received a higher 'notoriety' fee.
Under the terms of the collective selling of Spanish Liga soccer club media rights, which was enshrined into law in April 2015, the 42 Liga clubs take 95 per cent of the total revenues. Of that total, the 20 first division clubs share approximately 90 per cent and the 22 second division clubs share the remaining 10 per cent.
Half of the revenues accruing to the first division are shared out equally by the 20 clubs, with 25 per cent divided according to each club’s results over the past five seasons and the final 25 per cent distributed according to the 'notoriety' principle, using factors such as gate receipts, fan base and size of the club’s home town.
For the second division, 70 per cent is shared equally, 15 per cent according to the previous season’s results and 15 per cent for 'notoriety'.
The remaining 5 per cent of future media rights revenues are split by the RFEF, the national soccer body, the CSD, the national sports council, and the players’ syndicate.
Meanwhile, throughout the first 17 match days of this season, average top-flight attendances in Spain are down 3.5 per cent on the comparative 2016-17 period.
Seven teams, including Barcelona, are down on last season, according to Palco. Barcelona are averaging 61,348 fans per home match, compared with 77,430, with the decline largely attributable to the political situation in the Catalan region that has affected tourism.
Atletico Madrid are the big climbers, up 35 per cent year-on-year to 60,501, thanks mainly to the team moving into their new stadium, the Wanda Metropolitano, and also the fact that the biggest draws, Barcelona and Real, have already visited.