Swimming: Denmark will host the LEN European Short Course Championships in 2017
In the wake of the success of the organization of the LEN European Short Course Swimming Championships in 2013, the Danish Swimming Federation together with Sport Event Denmark and Wonderful Copenhagen now look forward to hosting once again in 2017. Denmark was up against the strong nations Poland and Italy.
The good news about Denmark being awarded the event by the European Swimming Federation, LEN has yet been announced. The Championships will be staged in the state of art new Royal Arena in Copenhagen.
“We are really pleased to return to Denmark: after the highly successful event in Herning 2013 we are sure that the 2017 edition will be another hit. Copenhagen is not just a beautiful city and capital of a magnificent country, but has also become the capital of sport by staging a handful of great events in succession. LEN is really happy to be part of these series and even more proud that our continental showcase will be the first sport meet held in the brand new Royal Arena. We have to be grateful for the great efforts of the Danish Swimming Federation, Wonderful Copenhagen and Sport Event Denmark, we know we are going to work with dedicated professionals once again,” says LEN President Paolo Barelli.
Danish Swimming Federation also looks forward to hosting the event:
- We are still high on the delivery of the LEN European Short Course Swimming Championships in Herning in 2013. The idea that we once again would have the opportunity to offer our swimmers and Swimming Denmark an international championship at home is great. With the experience of 2013 we feel well prepared to tackle the tasks. We know that it is a big job to lift such an event, but we also know about the many advantages. Also in relation to the international aspect it is important to host to have the opportunity to present ourselves as a strong swimming nation. There are thus plenty of good reasons why we are looking forward to hosting the event, says director of the Danish Swimming Federation, Pia Holmen.
World Class Danish Swimmer, 27-year-old Jeanette Ottesen: It makes a huge difference to swim on home ground. She was among the swimmers who took part in the LEN European Short Couse Swimming Championships in 2013 in Herning, and she talks about the importance of home soil:
- I have participated in lots of international championships all over the world and there is no doubt that the feeling one is filled with when you step into a huge arena, wrapped in red and white colors, and are received by cheers and applause, - that is difficult to find words for. I get shivers at the mere thought.
Sport Event Denmark as one of the partners looks forward to having the opportunity to repeat the success of 2013 and build on the valuable experience achieved back then:
- LEN European Short Course Swimming Championships in Herning set new standards. With Royal Arena in Copenhagen our plan and hope is to raise the bar further, says Lars Lundov, CEO, Sport Event Denmark.
Also Copenhagen has no doubt that the city is ready to take on the hosting:
- The Royal Arena in the capital will set a world class scene and will in a brilliant way present the swimming world to the Copenhageners, the Danes and the many international guests. The LEN European Short Court Swimming Championships in 2017 celebrate Copenhagen as a sporting event city, says Lars Vallentin Christensen, head of Sports Events in Wonderful Copenhagen.
• Denmark will host the LEN European Short Course Swimming Championships 2017.
• In Royal Arena, Copenhagen.
• Partners: Danish Swimming Federation, Sport Event Denmark and Wonderful Copenhagen.
• Denmark was up against two other nations: Poland and Italy.
• It is the second time that the hosting of the event goes to Denmark. The first time was in December 2013 when the event was lifted in cooperation with Sport Event Denmark and Herning Municipality.
For further information:
Director of the Danish Swimming Federation, Pia Holmen: Mobile: +45 29 20 61 61
Director of Sport Event Denmark, Lars Lundov: Mobile: +45 40 31 48 55
Head of Sports Events at Wonderful Copenhagen, Lars Vallentin Christensen: Mobile: +45 23 38 30 63